二月 09, 2007

The 5 things I need from work

In order to make me happy, or at least make me felt at ease during work, are as follows:
Those highlighted in red are those that I'm short of currently.

5) Comfortable Environment
Quiet surrounding -- Designing or writing program codes requires a high level of focus. I am normally good at filtering out noises, but not at work. Picture this: I'm seated around a bunch of admin staffs, who constantly/consistently/always complain about our external customers or whoever they are interested in. Talking in high decibels, its a sound contamination!

Pantry -- Our pantry's good, its clean, it has free milos and coffees... Newspapers are always readily available. There's a great scenic view from the pantry as well, good place to rest my eyes when I'm tired or worn out.

4) Defined Job Scope
At the end of last year SBTL mentioned in a meeting that all staffs under his department will have a defined job scope. But just one month into the new year, I've been told to move on to another project (the SAFTI project), and needs me to continue support the current SingTel project, together with the SMU project.

In short, I was told to do EVERYTHING.

Now, where's the "defined job scope" he mentioned? You know, an undefined job scope can truly demoralise a staff.

3) Sufficient Time
Often at work, what you will see is we are always rushing for time. And those are totally avoidable -- by having proper planning of time and resources, and accurate estimation + good project management skills.

I mean, why commit something that can be done only in 5 days and only give us 2 days after spending 3 days discussing whether to do or not?

I mean, why push for a deadline and rather give up quality and rollout something that is nothing but bug-loaded?

Bosses always say "they are other constraints", and then we spend 2 full days having meeting without any actions... of course no time la! T__T

2) Go home on time, no OTs required
I forced this. In my company, the rule of thumb is always "do as much as you can", bosses will give you those "Why are you going back so early, its only 7 pm" look EVERYTIME.

This is very sad. Very very sad. I have already proven to others that I am able to finish the jobs being assigned to me within office hours, why the hell do I need to stay till so late then?

And so, people begin to think that I've got too less work to do, and started assigning me more things. And then, I finished all of them within office hours again.

Its up to you to choose right? I've seen people coming to work at 10 am, and leaving at 8 pm, those are "hardworking" people. I've also seen people who go for tea-breaks three times a day, and had a 2 hour lunch break, and OT-ing till 9 pm, they are "hardworking" people as well...

What on earth happened? I come to work 8:30 am everyday, do not go for tea-breaks, have a 45-minutes lunch break and go home on time, and I was given that "you are not hardworking" look!

1) Pay, High Pay
Everybody is paid, but not everybody is under-paid.

Especially after I came to know that many incompetent colleagues (incompetent as in, they have been sacked a few years back at my company) is getting 40% more than my current pay... what's wrong with the world? T__T

Maybe I should start looking for job >_<

没有评论: